Job Opportunity for U.S. Citizens in Kyrgyzstan: FLEX Pre-Departure Orientation Teacher
2018 Pre-Departure Orientation Cycle
Job Description: Orientation Teacher, Kyrgyzstan
Purpose of Position: To prepare program participants for their exchange experience using materials provided by American Councils/DC administrative staff; to plan PDO sessions together with the local orientation team; to teach students in English about American culture and family life.
Description of Duties:
- Learn the established goals and objectives of the program and its pre-departure orientation materials.
- Attend the entire four-day Training of Trainers workshop (TOT) held in late March or early April to become familiar with the assigned PDO lesson plan.
- Attend and actively participate in planning and preparation of the PDO.
- Teach classes consisting of no more than 17 students, and team-teach larger sessions of up to 45 students.
- Create a well-organized classroom atmosphere that keeps to a time schedule and encourages student participation.
- Work effectively with Alumni Teaching Assistants while planning and presenting sessions.
- Assist American Councils staff with non-classroom responsibilities, as requested.
- During the TOT and PDO, teachers are obligated to attend meals, evening and other non-classroom activities.
- American citizen with native English language skills and US high school experience.
- Professional teaching experience, preferably with high school students.
- Recent living experience in at least one Eurasian country; appropriate local language skills are desirable.
- Demonstrated interpersonal skills and ability to function with staff of different ages and cultural backgrounds.
- Available to teach two PDO cycles between June 15 and July 15, 2018
Reports to: Country Director
If you are interested in the position of PDO teacher please submit a statement of purpose, resume and copy of your passport to Sung In Marshall, Country Director (email@example.com) by January 26, 2018. Please specify if you are willing to teach in cities or countries other than that in which you applied.